Meanwhile quietly in the background today…..we can’t let resistor fatigue set in and fall for the dodge and distract while they slip thru things that threaten our freedoms and our planet.
1. House Republicans have voted 235-180 to overturn an Obama administration that blocked Social Security disability recipients with mental disorders from buying guns.
2. The House also voted Thursday to strike down the Labor Department’s blacklisting rule, which requires federal contractors to report labor violations.
3. On Wednesday, the House voted to strike down the Interior Department’s stream protection rule and the Securities and Exchange Commission’s disclosure requirements for oil and gas companies through the Congressional Review Act.
4. The House is also expected Friday to strike down the Interior Department’s methane emissions standards.
5. Today at Prayer Breakfast trump said he would destroy the Johnson Amendment. In place since 1954 ” it’s purpose is to stop churches from using the pulpit to campaign for certain politicians. “Violation could cost them loss of tax exempt status
6. One day after Tillerson approval House is gutting an anti-corruption rule requiring oil companies to disclose payments to foreign governments.
7. In today’s Press Briefing Spicer said ” I think there’s several businesses and several institutions — Catholic institutions and others — that have been mandated or attempted to mandate certain things that they may or may not do or how they have to treat their employees…. There are instances where clearly the pendulum is swinging a different way, where you are not carving out institutions or the ability for privately held businesses to conduct themselves to live according to their faith or their moral compass”. (here is where they sneak in LGBT discrimination and dictate womens issues)
8. This week Gina Haspel was selected by Trump to be Deputy Director of the CIA. now slated to become the second-most powerful official at CIA she was Fired in 2013 because she was “directly involved in its controversial interrogation program and had an “extensive role” in torturing detainees. Even more troubling, she “had run a secret prison in Thailand”
9. “The department said today in a statement it would allow U.S. companies to make limited transactions with FSB that are needed to gain approval to import information technology products into Russia “(meanwhile New fighting between Ukraine and Russia flares up in eastern Ukraine)
10. But Trumps wants us to pray for Arnold Schwarzenegger ratings
Recently a friend said to me…”Georgia sometimes you need to stop and watch a sunset”.
It seems like days just whirl by. Laptop is opened to warm up while I go to pour my coffee at 6:30am . Thus starts a day full of a flurry of activity. Deadlines to keep…meetings to attend…laundry to do….oh and somewhere in there is at least one meal other than the protein bar I call breakfast. Continue reading “Sometimes you need to stop and watch a sunset……..”
Yesterday someone posted on Facebook 10 Life Changing Tips inspired by Deepak Chopra.
One that in particular resonated with me was tip #3 Embrace the Unknown
“Even when you think you have your life all mapped out, things happen that shape your destiny in ways you might never have imagined.”
“Things” happen to all of us….marriages, divorces, births, deaths, illness,aging, financial wins and losses, moves and job changes.
Some “things” by our own doing….the little decisions we make each day that can at times completely redirect the path of our lives.
Do you ever wonder what would have happened if you took that other job…dated that other man….went to that other school…took the other side of the fork in the road?
The unknown at times can feel like the monster under the bed. As I look back on my own journey and the twists and turns. I could not have imagined the depth of experience that facing the unknown gave me.
I have always been of the mindset that at times in life you just have to “hold your nose” and jump in….having faith that wherever it takes me I’ll be ok.
A new unknown transition is beginning for me. I am both nervous and excited. What is on the other side of this unknown twist in the road…I don’t know…but I am embracing it and waiting to see that which I have not yet imagined.
Ladies…how do you embrace change? How have the twists in your life map shaped your destiny?
Tonight on NBC Nightly news they talked about the contraception issue. 39 states have proposals on deck to limit coverage of birth control. Some states requiring a woman to prove to an employer that she needs birth control for medical reasons and not contraception.
We need to use our voices now…loudly and consistently that we will NOT move backwards. That the misogyny that is alive and well will not win. Whether it is Rush Limbaugh or Bill Maher we must swiftly use our voices to stop the words of female degradation that men like them use to demean us. We will accept nothing less than equal. That as women we will stand together with the men that support us and fight against those who strive to take us back decades. For ourselves, for our daughters, for those who have fought before us…we will use our voices in unison to stop the attack on our rights, our health, our safety.
Tanya L Domi is an Adjunct Assistant Professor of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University who teaches about human rights in Eurasia and is a Harriman Institute affiliated faculty member.
In her article linked here she writes about the current War on Women and how it demands a new Women’s Rights Agenda for America. I encourage all women and the men who stand beside us and support us to read this article and add your voice to the cause.